Need last minute camping or hiking gear? Planning a canoe or tubing trip on the Dan River?
- Chesnut Oak Nature Trail-.7 mile, easy
- Cook's Wall Trail-2.2 miles, moderate
- Hanging Rock Trail-1.2 miles, moderate
- Indian Creek Trail-3.7 miles, moderate
- Hidden Falls-.4 mile, easy
- Window Falls-.6 mile, moderate
- Lower Cascades Trail-.3 mile, easy an all new trail with steps to the
bottom provide an excellent place to cool off in the summer. Trail begins
just outside the park off nearby road. (check your trail map)
- Moore's Wall Loop Trail-4.2 miles, strenuous
- Upper Cascades Trail-.2 mile, easy
- Wolf Rock Loop Trail-1.9 miles, moderate
- Tory's Den & Falls Trail-4.2 miles, ridiculous (check map, then drive to parking lot off Mickey's Rd. and hike .2 mile trail)
Getting There From:
- Winston-Salem take 311 North to Walnut Cove and follow 89 North to Danbury, NC or:
follow 66 North 10 miles from Germanton and follow signs to park
- Greensboro take 220 North to 158 East to 65 North to Walnut Cove and follow 89 North to Danbury, NC
- Mt. Airy take 89 South to Danbury, NC
Comments:Hanging Rock State Park offers an excellent day trip/mountain retreat for triad residents.
Canoeing, tubing, camping, picnics, waterfalls and beautiful fall foliage splendor in addition to the many hiking trails.
A great day can be made by hiking the hanging rock trail as well as hidden and window falls. A brand new information center with clean restrooms is located nearby.
Also, squeeze in a 30 minute walk to the upper cascades. For those of you who enjoy a longer journey, the Moore's knob loop trail is excellent. Bring backpack essentials and spend a few hours to reach
the summit and a fabulous view of both the Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain.
The above photo was taken last November when many thought fall colors in North Carolina were not as spectacular as usual.
The park's elevation may have fooled the experts, or maybe the experts are just fools.
When you go, do lunch with an
partner , at Danbury General Grill in Danbury; minutes from the park! Get your mugs here
as well as at :
Creations Bakery Cafe` just up the road on the left at 508 Main St. to
enjoy dessert! Oh yeah!
Enjoy freshly made pastries, cookies,
gourmet coffee and more! Tell Bonnie we sent ya!