"In the winter time, when all
the leaves are gone....."
photos were taken at sunset, March 02, 2009 following some rare wintry
- Jomeokee Trail-one mile moderate hike loops the pinnacle base.
- Little Pinnacle Overlook-.1 mile easy hike provides the best view.
- Sassafras Trail- .5 mile self-guided nature loop trail.
- Ledge Springs Trail-2 miles and strenuous, rough mountain trail.
Getting There From:
- Winston-Salem take US 52 North (24 miles), park entrance conveniently located off highway
- Mt. Airy take US 52 South (14 miles)
- Elkin take 258 east to US 52 South
Comments:Pilot Mountain State Park offers an excellent day trip/mountain retreat for triad residents. Camping, picnics, and beautiful vistas in addition to the many moderate hiking trails.
It is a great environment to enjoy the sunset over the Blue Ridge mountains.
Whether you have all day or just a half hour, Pilot Mountain State Park
provides you that quick getaway that lets you forget about all your big city
From the Parking lot near the top you can take a brisk walk to view the
knob to your east. Or, sit back and drop the tailgate to watch the
sunset over the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west! Follow the crest of
the Blue Ridge north into Virginia or see the Winston Salem skyline on
crisp, clear day. The main thing is just to kick back and 'set a