Established as the first of North Carolina's State Parks on March 3, 1915. Ascend to the highest peak east
of the Mississippi River, rising to 6684 feet. Hike the short trip to the observation tower for a fabulous 360 degree view!
A great place to beat the heat! As a matter of fact, along with
Grandfather Mountain, Mt. Mitchell is typically the coolest place in NC
every single day!
- Old Mitchell Trail: moderately difficult, 2 miles
- Mount Mitchell Trail: strenuous, 6 miles (from Black Mountain Campground to Mt. Mitchell Summit)
- Balsam Trail: easy, three-quarter mile self-guided nature trail
- Camp Alice Trail: strenuous, three-quarter mile
- Deep Gap Trail: strenuous, 6 miles
- Located in Yancey County 33 miles north of Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway at mile marker #355.
- Take NC 80 North from I-40 in Marion, NC to the Parkway. Proceed South to mile marker #355.
Comments:Mount Mitchell State Park offers an excellent visit for everyone. Camping, picnics, beautiful fall foliage splendor.
Where else can you be atop the world and stay in the Eastern US? Nowhere else but here!
For more info, visit www.nps.gov