- The Stone Mtn. Falls trail is a 1.2 mile trail we highly recommend. The only downside are the 276 (give or take a few) steps to the summitt of the 200 foot falls.
But, if you've hiked this far the view from above is great, especially at sunset to see why it made our list of Top NC Falls.
- The stone mountain loop trail is 4 miles long and relatively strenuous, yet provides great vistas.
The climb to the top of the mountain bald will include a panoramic view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
You'll also experience the closest thing to walking on the moon, since the mountain's granite face might appear similar.
- Begin the first .25 mile of the Stone Mtn. Falls trail as it leads to a grassy field in front of the mountain where one can simply relax and view the scenery.
- Follow to Widow's Creek and hike .25 mile trail to Widow's Creek Falls and see why it's one of our choices for Top NC Falls
Getting There From:
- Triad/Triangle take NC 421 North to I-77 North to NC 21 near Elkin. Look for the "standard brown" state park sign and turn left on Traphill Rd.
- Charlotte take I-77 North to NC 21 near Elkin. Look for the "standard brown" state park sign and turn left on Traphill Rd.
- Blue Ridge Parkway take NC 18 South, turn left on SR (state road) 1737, another left at back entrance to park is marked.
or follow NC 21 South from Sparta, NC. Look for the "standard brown" state park sign and turn right on Traphill Rd..
Comments:Stone Mountain State Park offers an excellent day trip/mountain retreat for everyone. Camping, picnics, waterfalls and beautiful fall foliage splendor.
On any day, one can almost always see deer as they are abundant throughout the park, especially at dusk.
Visit our Nearby Partners:
- In Wilkesboro; you can visit our partners @Raebles,
1000 West River St. for the finest Gifts, Foods, Candy & Art,
including our coffee mugs!
Take a detour through scenic downtown Elkin on Business 21 to 122 East Main Street, where you can visit
Say hello to Lovie Phillips, pick up a Ty Beanie Baby,
Or an Coffee Mug. Browse and buy anything from discontinued China, Silver, Crystal, Antique Jewelry, Silk Flowers, or Baskets & Linens! Her shop is open
6 days a week from 10am-5:30pm and closed Sundays. Tell her we sent you!